The OpenTelemetry Collector, when configured with a Prometheus receiver, provides an integration with Squid to scrape Prometheus metrics. The Collector uses the Prometheus Receiver to fetch metrics from the Squid endpoint. From there, the metrics are processed and exported to Lightstep Observability.
To complete the integration, perform the following steps:
- Configure Squid and Squid Exporter to get metrics
- Configure the Collector to use the Squid Exporter endpoint as a scrape target for the Prometheus receiver
- Enable the integration by adding it to a pipeline
- Squid running in a Kubernetes environment.
- You’ve configured the Collector to export metric data to Lightstep Observability.
Configure Squid reporting
Configure the Collector receiver
In the Collector configuration file, specify the Squid Exporter endpoint as a scrape target.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 receivers: prometheus: config: scrape_configs: - job_name: otel-squid static_configs: - targets: [squid-exporter:9301]
The OpenTelemetry repository readme provides additional details about Prometheus receiver configuration.
Complete information about the Prometheus scrape configuration can be found in the Prometheus documentation.
Enable the Collector receiver
After the Squid receiver is configured, enable it by adding it to one or more pipelines as described in the Collector configuration documentation.
Validate metrics are reporting to Lightstep
You can validate that metrics are reporting to Lightstep on the Metrics details page in Project settings.
In Lightstep, click Project settings > Metric details.
Search for Squid metric names.
See the Squid Exporter documentation for a detailed description of provided metrics.
If needed, select the metric to edit the description and how the units are displayed in Lightstep.
Create a dashboard for the metrics
Use the Lightstep Terraform Provider to create a dashboard for the metrics.
- For a complete example that’s ready to run, see the Squid integration in Lightstep OpenTelemetry Examples.