Use Lightstep alerts to monitor system performance, get notified when things change, and identify possible causes. With Lightstep alerts, you can do the following:
- Create alerts for metric or span data.
- Set up notification destinations to notify people when alerts trigger.
- View alert status and manage alerts in Lightstep’s Alerts tab.
- Use Change Intelligence to investigate performance changes.
This page describes Lightstep alerts at a high level and links to more content to help you get started.
Using Terraform? You can use the Lightstep Terraform provider to create and manage your alerts and destinations. You can also use it to export existing alerts into the Terraform format.
This section describes an alert in practice.
If your customer Packing Kings is onboarding new clients, you may want to create an alert to monitor request rates. The following alert configuration:
- Sends a warning alert if the average request rate goes above 11 requests per second over two minutes.
- Sends a critical alert if the average request rate goes above 13 requests per second over two minutes.
When an alert threshold is crossed, a notification is sent to the configured destination.
An alert is also sent once the issue is resolved (or the metric drops below the threshold).
Alerts are listed on the Alerts tab of the Alerts view. You can see the status of every alert, and you can also delete alerts from here.
Once created, you can edit and snooze alerts.
Customize alerts with alert templates
When creating alerts, choose from two alert templates to customize alerts for your monitoring needs.
Start from scratch
Use this template to alert on one query or several queries combined with a formula. This option is the most flexible template. Choose this template if you’re starting out and exploring alerting options.
Here are some examples of Start from scratch alerts:
- Send alerts if a customer’s average request rate goes above 13 requests per second over 2 minutes.
- Send alerts if disk utilization goes above 75%.
Use this template to alert on changes in your data over time. With this option, you can set alert thresholds comparing current data to data from the last minutes, hours, days, or weeks. Choose this template if you have highly variable data, making it hard to identify fixed thresholds for system health.
Here are some examples of Percent change alerts:
- Send alerts if API request rates have increased more than 5 times (500%) compared to last week.
- Based on previous months of data, send alerts if disk utilization is projected to go above 80% within 30 days.
Integrate with third-party notification destinations
Notification destinations receive Lightstep notifications for triggered alerts. With notification destinations, you can integrate Lightstep alerts into your existing setup and let people know when alerts trigger.
Lightstep supports the notification destinations listed below. Follow the links to learn how to integrate them with Lightstep:
Identify possible causes with Change Intelligence
Change Intelligence helps you investigate performance changes. When alerts trigger, use Change Intelligence to view trace data related to your alert and find possible causes.
For more information, visit Run Change Intelligence on an alert.
Visit these links to start working with Lightstep alerts: