Lightstep’s integration with Google allows you to send Cloud Monitoring metrics (including custom metrics) to Lightstep.
Lightstep doesn’t support Google’s log based metrics.
You need a service account with short-lived credentials in order for Lightstep to access your metrics. You will need to create a service account, grant Lightstep access to the account, and finally contact your technical account manager to complete the integration. This document will walk you through all the necessary steps.
For more information on the technical aspects of the integration, you may review the general process outlined at creating short lived service account credentials.
Create a Service Account
You need to create a service account that Lightstep can use to access your metrics.
- Navigate to Google Cloud Plaform Console > IAM & Admin > Service Accounts.
- Click + CREATE SERVICE ACCOUNT.
- Name the service account. We recommend
- Click CREATE.
- Grant the Monitor/Monitoring Viewer role.
- Click CONTINUE.
You do not need to grant users access to the service account.
- Click DONE.
Grant Access to Lightstep
In order to complete the connection between your account and Lightstep, you must allow Lightstep to assume the identity of the service account you just created.
In the Service Accounts table, find the service just created and click the Actions icon to choose Manage details.
- Navigate to the
- Click Grant access.
- Select the
Service Account Token Creatorrole.
- Click SAVE.
To complete the integration, contact your Technical Account Manager (Slack channel or email) and include the following information:
- Your Google Cloud Project name
- The name of the service account you created
- The Lightstep project in which you would like your data to appear
- Metric name prefixes to include (Optional - Default is
- Metric name prefixes to exclude (Optional - Default is
- The desired polling period or interval to pull metrics from Google. Choose from 1 min. to 15 mins. (Default is 15 mins.)