If you’re using Prometheus metrics, you can send those metrics directly to Lightstep Observability using the OpenTelemetry Collector, running in Kubernetes.
The OpenTelemetry Collector ingests Prometheus metrics from targets, such as Envoy, RabbitMQ, HAProxy, and other infrastructure components. These components use the Prometheus exporter to send metrics to the Collector. The Collector then uses the Prometheus receiver to scrape the target metrics, and the Lightstep OTLP exporter to send the metrics to Lightstep.
To send Prometheus metrics to Lightstep, you need to do the following:
- Deploy the Collector to Kubernetes
- Decide on the deployment scenario that works best for your environment by reading this topic.
- Deploy the collector either as a single instance, as a daemon set, or in a StatefulSet mode.
- Begin ingesting Prometheus metrics. Lightstep offers a number of pre-built integrations for many services that emit Prometheus metrics.
- Performance test your set up.
- Add dashboards for integrations using Terraform