If you’ve already instrumented your system, but were using another tracing library, no worries! Lightstep can ingest that instrumentation with almost no additional code needed.
Lightstep can ingest the following instrumentation:
- Jaeger Agent and Zipkin: If you’ve been using Jaeger or Zipkin as your distributed tracing monitor, switching to Lightstep is easy! Lightstep’s Satellites can injest data from both with very little change required.
- Datadog: If you’ve been using Datadog as your APM, you can send data from their tracers to Lightstep.
- OpenCensus: Export data from your OpenCensus instrumentation into Lightstep.
Using Tracers from Different Vendors
If you are using different tracers for different parts of your application, for example, Zipkin for your client and Lightstep for your server, no problem! In many cases, Lightstep can still ingest the data and create traces.
Datadog and Lightstep
If you’re using a mix of Datadog and Lightstep you must use B3 header propagation.
- Datadog’s Python tracer does not support B3 header propagation.
Zipkin and Lightstep
If you’re using a mix of Zipkin and Lightstep you must use B3 header propagation.
Jaeger and Lightstep
- Jaeger’s C++ tracer does not support B3 header propagation.