In order to track deployments, you need to create an instrumentation tag that Lightstep can use to understand when versions of your app changes. Any time the value of that tag changes, Lightstep adds a deployment marker to the charts on the deployment page. Here’s an example showing two deployment markers.
You create your version tag from the Project Settings page (these markers are project-specific).
In your service, add a tag named
service.version. This will be used to collect version information for the service. Adding tags to instrumentation is language-specific, so check out the Quick Start topics for how to do that in your service’s language.
- Click Settings to open your project’s settings page.
- On the Project Settings page, scroll down to Deployment Settings.
- Click the + icon. A dropdown shows all tags found in your instrumentation. Select the tag from the list.
The tag now displays as the Version Tag. You can use multiple tags to collect deployment information. As long as they are all registered, Lightstep creates markers when a change in value is detected.
What Did We Learn?
- You can create a tag to hold the value of a service’s version.
- When the tag’s value changes, Lightstep creates a deployment marker on the charts in the Service Health view.