When you send your metric and telemetry data to Lightstep Observability, you can build unified dashboards that contain both metric and span charts. Change Intelligence can correlate deviations in your metric data to changes in system performance across service boundaries, allowing you to pinpoint the root cause quickly, without having to leave Lightstep Observability. This Learning Path will show you how to send your telemetry data to Lightstep, and then find issues in your system using dashboards and charts for your metrics.
You’ll learn how to:
- Send metric data from AWS to Lightstep Observability using Terraform
- Use Lightstep OpenTelemetry Launchers to instrument your services to send telemetry data into Lightstep.
- Create a dashboard and charts to view telemetry data.
- Use Change Intelligence to see how it improves developer workflows by making it easier to identify and resolve issues in deep, distributed systems.
Before you begin
You’ll need the following to complete this Learning Path:
A Lightstep Observability account. Lightstep offers a free Developer Tier account. If you don’t already have an account, you can sign up here.
If you company already has an account, click Join an existing team in the Sign Up dialog.
- The Lightstep Observability access token for your project.
- Metrics from AWS CloudWatch or other metric vendors.
- Locally configured AWS credentials.
- Basic knowledge of Github.
- An app with services that can generate telemetry data. If you don’t have one, you can follow along with the screenshots in the Learning Path.